According to the American Head Lice Information Center, head lice have become increasingly prevalent in our nation’s schools and childcare centers. On average, six to 12 million people are infected with lice each year, most of them being young children between the ages of three and 12. While these little critters don’t present a serious health threat, they can be a major inconvenience for parents. In this article, we’ll discuss what to do if your child comes home with head lice.
Lice Treatment Solutions is proud to be a leading provider of lice removal, treatment, and prevention services throughout Houston. If you need help eliminating lice from your life, contact our professionals today.
Symptoms Your Child May Have Head Lice
Many schools offer regular head lice checks during the academic year, and your child may come home with a note that says someone in their class has head lice. When this happens, it’s important not to panic. Head lice do not pose a serious threat to your little one, but the sooner you find lice on your child, the sooner you can remedy the problem. There are many telltale signs that your child may be infested with lice. Some common symptoms include:
- A tickling feeling on the scalp
- Itching caused by allergic reactions to lice bites
- Sores on the head from scratching
- Trouble sleeping (lice are more active in the dark)
How To Search For Head Lice In Your Child’s Hair
If your child comes homes itching their head and complaining that they can feel something moving in their hair, there’s a good chance they may have contracted head lice. To properly search for head lice at home, consider the steps below.
- Check your child’s scalp for small, sesame seed-looking objects. Part their hair in different places and check their scalp behind the ears and at the nape of the neck. If you notice sores or a rash where your child has been scratching, there’s a good chance they have head lice.
- Look for movement in your kid’s hair. While you may not be able to spot the lice or lice eggs themselves, these little critters move quickly, so you might see movement in the hair.
If you determine that your child does indeed have head lice, schedule an appointment at Lice Treatment Solutions in Houston right away. We offer safe and effective lice removal services, and we would be happy to assist you in any way we can.